[IRCServices] Nick Identification bug?

k k ircservices at vietmedia.com
Sun Mar 11 01:02:01 PST 2001

Hello,

I'm wondering if this is a bug or something I might have missed in the
configuration file (read over 3 times).

CASE 1:
---------
 - Same IP, same username (identd), log into IRC, services will ask the
user to identify if not it will disconnect or change nick.

-NickServ- This nickname is registered and protected.  If it is your
-NickServ- nick, type /msg NickServ IDENTIFY password.  Otherwise,
-NickServ- please choose a different nick.
-NickServ- If you do not change within one minute, I will change your
nick.

The same user gets disconnected, then attempts to reconnect back with
the same IP/Username, Nickserv WILL NOT prompt the user with the
message:

NickServ- If you do not change within one minute, I will change your
nick

If the user changes his identd/username then reconnect back, then
nickserv will promtp the user with

NickServ- If you do not change within one minute, I will change your
nick

So it seems like nickserv is checking to see if user at host of the
reconnected person matches the previously identified version of
user at host, if it matches then the "Secured/Protected" is used but not
the KILL on option.

This can be a problem, if many users behind firewall and use the same
IP and also the same username.

Is there a way where NickServ check the nicks only rather than relying
on the username at host for matches?

CASE 2:
--------------
If a nick is identified then changed to another un-registered nick,
when doing /whois newnick  the newnick is being reported by the server
as being registered.  I assume the mode +r was not being removed and
I"m not sure if the job of removing +r is services job or ircd job.  I
ran services in -debug mode and see that the server does send the nick
change to services but services doesn't send back to the server (ie
mode -r on the nick) etc..

Feature Addition?
I'm wondering if there is a feature for making ChanServ to join #'s if
the owner wish the bot to stay in the channel?

Regards

KN