[IRCServices] Re: [Andy Smith - IRCServices]

Partizanu silvius at expres.ro
Sun Mar 18 17:43:01 PST 2001

Imagine this:
Some user, let`s say Guest007 come to you and say:
- Hello my dear services admin! I have a problem. User BadGuest stole my password
and I want my nick back. Can you do something about this?

Of course, you, as a good services admin...you care about users...even if if they
are sniffed for passwords...right?
So you check /Msg nickserv info BadGuest and get a email address. But is this the
RIGHT email? You can't tell.
On this point you have 2 ways:
1. /ignore Guest007 :)
2. Check the secondary db (or better as Imran Ali Rashid suggested grep the
services log and look for a changed mail addres for that nick)
If no changes in the last 7 days(?)..ok...so you _might_ have a good address...just
change the pass & send it....
If the email was changed then you have the old one to play around.
services.log may show something like:

[Mar 18 17:37:04 2001] NickServ: BadGuest!ident at some.host.com changed email for
BadGuest from old at email.com to new at email.com

Please remember that this is not _only_ about nicks is about channels and founders
too. So it can be a problem affecting more the one user per lost passwd.

Partizanu