[IRCServices] Suggestion

Andrew Church achurch at achurch.org
Mon Mar 19 00:27:01 PST 2001

>>      Since users having their passwords taken almost certainly means they
>> chose an easy-to-guess password, the right solution is to educate the
>> users.  I don't see why Services should have to run through hoops to try
>> and solve this problem.  (Of course, if your server is being
>> packet-sniffed, then you have other problems altogether.)
>
>This is correct, but you also have to see, that passwords are "guessed"
>via scripts, which use sockets (mirc has socket events e.g.) And start a
>good amount of connects, each with 3 nick password guesses, sure it takes
>time on good passwords, but sometimes users simply cannot stop themselves
>from setting the cellular phone number as their password, su suddenly it
>gets limited to numbers only etc, etc.

     Hm, that's a good point.  Looks like I need a better way to detect
password guessers.

>Each time a nickname is registered, a nick gets an authentication code, a
>la dalnet, which cannot be changed, and which is not shown. Thi code is
>emailed to the address given with the register command.  After that, the
>person has to issue /nickserv AUTH <code> within some services.conf days,
>or the registration will expire. If people claim to have lost their
>passwords, but can prove that they have the authentication code, because
>it was emailed to them, a services oper can issue /nickserv GETAUTH nick,
>and check the real authentication code against the given, if they match,
>it is highly possible that the person is the real owner, so
>sendpass/getpass can be issued.

     While this is a good idea if you want to ensure accountability of your
users, I don't see how it solves the problem of E-mail addresses being
changed after registration.  On the other hand, if this is applied to SET
EMAIL as well, you can avoid that problem; but then you have to deal with
people who can't use their old address and distinguishing them from
crackers who guessed the password and want to steal the nick.

  --Andrew Church
    achurch at achurch.org | New address - please note.
    http://achurch.org/ | メールアドレスが変わりました。