[IRCServices] A discussion on the contents of the todo file

Trevor Talbot quension at softhome.net
Mon Mar 19 03:22:01 PST 2001

Andrew Church wrote:

> >> ** Services log channel
> >Was there a recent discussion on this?
>
>      Not recent, but a long time ago there was some discussion about
> this.  As I recall, it essentially came down to the benefit of being
> able to monitor the log online (remotely) vs. the security problems of
> having Services status information broadcast on the network and the
> additional network load.  I personally think it would be better off
> not being added, but I'm open to comments.

As a rumor claims, DALnet once had a log channel for their proxy
scanners.  It became a liability, as people would attempt to ride in on
netsplits.  Those who managed to stay for awhile logged the proxies,
then made good use of them on servers that did not run the scanner (or
after attacking the scanner into oblivion).

While that's unconfirmed, it certainly rings true with human behavior.
I'd suggest adding in a hostmask-regulated telnet module or similar (I'd
go for DCC, but that wouldn't allow giving commands to OperServ while
not on IRC).  Along with live log watching, you could have a parser scan
the new log files and show you past history on a nick or channel, etc.
If thread support is sufficient on the OSes services runs on, such a
module would be useful as a separate thread: skips around shell process
restrictions, and no lag on services while crunching logs.

-- Quension