[IRCServices] A discussion on the contents of the todo file

Josh grenday288 at geocities.com
Mon Mar 19 18:16:01 PST 2001

On 19 Mar 2001, at 9:39, Imran Ali Rashid wrote:

> > As a rumor claims, DALnet once had a log channel for their proxy
> > scanners.  It became a liability, as people would attempt to ride in on
> > netsplits.  Those who managed to stay for awhile logged the proxies,
> > then made good use of them on servers that did not run the scanner (or
> > after attacking the scanner into oblivion).
>
> There are easy work arounds for this. If Services can send to the channel,
> it can control it, and hence prevent anyone being in it who isn't a services
> admin. And can prevent Services admins from joining without identifying and
> so on. I don't know how many ircds support +O but this could also be used
> to help against this kind of abuse.

I wouldn't rely on +O'ing channels using bahamut to keep users out
of them.  When a server splits +O is lost on that server and isn't
resynced when it relinks so anyone who goes on the server that
split will get in the channel just fine. Mlocking +O wont help
because the servers that didn't split still have +O so services
doesn't know that its -O on that server.
-- Josh Kirkorian [aka Poison-X]
-- Administrator - irc.insiderz.net

C Code. C code run. Run, code, run...
Segmentation fault (core dumped).. aww shit