[IRCServices] A discussion on the contents of the todo file (LONG)

Mark Hetherington markh at eurodltd.co.uk
Tue Mar 20 19:29:05 PST 2001

> >> CS Last used time for access, AKICK entries
> >
> >This is a good idea. This was even mentioned by someone recently.
> >So lets discuss it and see how many people like it.
>
>      I'm already planning to implement this in 5.0 unless there's some
> objection.

Not sure what the exact plan is but I think it would be very useful to
extend this feature a little further. Add a field to the access and akick
lists which stores the date/time and nickname of the person performing an
operation on the lists. So the AOP/AKICK etc lists would become e.g.
(nickname) (level) (added/changed on) (added/changed by). Basically a
similar setup to the AKILL list.

> >> ** Services log channel
> >Was there a recent discussion on this?
>
>      Not recent, but a long time ago there was some discussion about
> this.  As I recall, it essentially came down to the benefit of being
> able to monitor the log online (remotely) vs. the security problems of
> having Services status information broadcast on the network and the
> additional network load.  I personally think it would be better off
> not being added, but I'm open to comments.

One of our statistics psuedo clients echos a lot of network information to a
channel and by use of the Oper only channel mode, we limit who can access
the information. It is often useful to have all this information online. As
with many things, implementation could be an option in the configuration
(ala StatServ) so anyone concerned about load and security could not run it
at all. I see that it could be a *very* useful debugging tool to have online
echoing from services. If it were implemented, I would like to be able to
configure what it will echo to channel. Some information would not always be
necessary.

The discussion on a new logging format suggests that being able to "tune"
the information logged would be trivial to implement both for any channel
echo and the actual log itself during the rewrite of the logging code.

Mark.
CTCP Networks.