[IRCServices] auto suspension after invalid passwords

Andrew Kempe andrewk at icon.co.za
Fri Mar 23 14:47:01 PST 2001

Imho, the feature has good intentions but isn't very robust. Let's look at
what it's trying to do:

- Prevent a user from brute forcing the nick's password.

What are we currently doing to prevent this:

- Kill the user after X invalid passwords. This allows opers to see who is
getting a password wrong _a lot_. They can then akill the person's host.

What is the current method lacking:

- If there are no active opers (ooops), then the user could get away with it
for a while. So basically a temp akill might surfice. Atleast it would make
it slightly harder for the user to brute force the nickname effectively.

Finally, the chances of someone brute forcing a nickname's password are
already small - seeing as we have a minimum password length. So, maybe this
extra security is unnecessary?

Andrew