[IRCServices] Question about possible future feature (BotServ)

k.hawkes at zombies.force9.net k.hawkes at zombies.force9.net
Fri Jun 22 12:18:00 PDT 2001

Okay, both ideas have their pros and cons, it
all depends on what you want from Services.

In either case, an option to NOT have whatever
is chosen would be a very good idea.

With the screen idea, it's not that hard to code
and if all you want is a simple 'dumb' bot to
keep a channel open when there are no users in it
that's fine.  If however you want something more
like an interactive 'clone' of ChanServ, then the
BotServ idea is the way to go.

Personally, I'm more likely to go with the BotServ
idea, this is simply because users are always
asking for ways that their channels can stay open
24/7 without them having to spend money, learn
UNIX/Eggdrop/etc...  BotServ would most likely
fit the bill for that.  Perhaps have a limit as
to how many users a channel MUST have before a
Botserv bot can join?  I believe Epona services
has the botserv feature in it.  Perhaps looking
at that and perhaps compromising between the
screen idea and the botserv idea would be a
better idea overall for Services and it's users?

In the end, the decision lies with the coders of
IRCServices and the users of IRCServices.

Just my rant for today... (maybe)

Quinn