[IRCServices] Wrong user count error

Trevor Talbot quension at softhome.net
Fri Dec 21 07:41:00 PST 2001

Finny Merrill wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, Bryan Clark wrote:

> > thebeast wrote:

> > > about the wrong user count error reported for the first time in the
> > > mailinglist at Fri Nov 30
> > > i have found out that wen a user is leaving or is helped leaving
> > > the irc server with /msg operserv raw: operserv svskill (nick) (reason)
> > > then the user is still counted as connected.

> > I'm not Andrew, but I have some insight into this one. ;) '/operserv
> > raw' does one thing and one thing only, and that's send the rest of the
> > line to the server services is connected to. That might be why the help
> > for the raw command is phrased the way it is:
> >
> > -OperServ- Sends a string of text directly to the server to which
> > -OperServ- Services is connected.  This command has a very limited
> > -OperServ- range of uses, and can wreak havoc on a network if used
> > -OperServ- improperly.  DO NOT USE THIS COMMAND unless you are
> > -OperServ- absolutely certain you know what you are doing!

> Shouldn't have anything to do with it, unreal afaik echos back quits from
> svskills I think

Unreal 3.1.1-Darkshades, which is what rc5proxy.mp3crew.nu is running,
distributes the SVSKILL -- it does not target the user's server and echo a
quit back.  Bryan is correct, and people need to RTFH.

Random suggestion: disable RAW by default, and make it a #defineable option
in some obscure undocumented header file.  To people who ask, respond "use
the source, Luke!"

-- Quension