Proxy scanning (was RE: [IRCServices] Another Feature Suggestion)

Ian R. Justman ianj at esper.net
Fri May 31 12:03:00 PDT 2002

On Fri, 31 May 2002, Russell Garrett wrote:

> What does FloodServ do that OperServ session limiting and proxy
> scanning doesn't? IMHO proxy scanning shouldn't be implemented into
> services, use a dedicated package like BOPM. If proxy scanning is
> added into services, all malicious users have to do is knock services
> off, then they can connect all their clonebots up. With BOPM, Unreal
> proxy scanning, or similar, you have a bot on each server, so all
> your eggs aren't in one basket so to speak.

While on the topic of proxy scanners, I've evaluated BOPM and hope the one
lamer I've been hoping it will stymie will get mired in it.

Since Services 5 will (or at very least could, given coding for a module)
sport global Z: line management, would it make sense to have it send a
message so that it adds your desired Z: line to Services?  Or should one
collect up the accumulated Z: lines on the respective servers BOPM is
running on and manually add them later?

--Ian R. Justman, Co-Founder and Postmaster, The EsperNet IRC Network.

-----
Ian R. Justman (NIC handle IJ12)  ianj at esper.net (Official EsperNet business)
Co-Founder and Postmaster, The EsperNet IRC Network
Server Administrator, chocobo.esper.net "IJ" on IRC

PGP key available upon request, or finger ianj at esper.net.

If this message was signed with the Postmaster's key, please finger
postmaster at esper.net for the Postmaster public key.

Type Bits/KeyID    Date       User ID
pub  1024/BAB34B69 1997/11/15 EsperNet Postmaster <postmaster at esper.net>
            Key fingerprint = 05 BD 7C B5 8E 0B FD EF  EE 47 49 C4 96 11 59 75