[IRCServices] Another Feature Suggestion

Sean Kelly smkelly at zombie.org
Fri May 31 18:35:01 PDT 2002

On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 05:11:54PM +0100, Russell Garrett wrote:
> > RoutingServ - mosty ircd's will autoconnect disconnected
> > servers but some
> > won't. I also like the idea of services being able to
> > re-rout servers if the
> > connection to a hub becomes laggy.
>
> Also an advantage for smaller nets where you don't have a global oper
> on hand all the time I suppose. I'm slowly warming to the idea :).

You can't depend on Services to determine the lag factor for the entire
network.  Doing this would be a mistake.  You are coming up with ideas
that, in my opinion, fall way outside the scope of IRCServices.  If you
want a minimal routing system, then look into ircd's rule-based connects
(SmartRouting).  With this, you can force a specific network structure in
specific situations, though it is rather limited.  It would be faily easy
to extend it though.

--
Sean Kelly         | PGP KeyID: 77042C7B
smkelly at zombie.org | http://www.zombie.org