[IRCServices] ircservices on windows

Trevor Talbot quension at softhome.net
Thu Jul 4 23:19:00 PDT 2002

On Thursday, July 4, 2002, at 01:24  PM, Philippe Levesque wrote:

> Trevor Talbot wrote:
>
>> There are more win32 IRC servers than you think.  Not all of them are
>> good, but they do exist -- and yes, many of them will work with
>> IRC Services.
>
> My point is, do you will pay for conference room software? oh, and pay
> surelly for upgrade and such. Cause I know a ircd only need a
> c/n line to
> link services

What makes you think all of the win32 IRC server software is
commercial?  Conference Room is definitely not all there is.

>> He's bound by the license to release the source as well.  Besides, he
>> offered to do as much.
>
> Yes, he can release the source as well, but, the binary are
> already compiled,
> thats my point, nothing can told me it's compiled with the
> correct source.

Then you can compile it yourself.  Another point is, how many people
who compile things from source in order to use them actually read the
source first?

This is a pretty elemental argument; I don't think we need to rehash
it here.

>> Those are contradicting statements.  Windows is not the most unstable
>> OS in the world; even if it were, IRC Services version 5 would not
>> change that
>
> Windows is unstable, thats a fact, and if you dont agree, then
> I hope your
> windows box got a lot of memory, and a lot of ressource, cause
> with uptime of
> like 4-5 months, you will be low on ressource on a windows box.
> Like on a
> p166, you still can have a cool webserver on linux/bsd, and
> with windows,
> that computer can only run msword and forget about installing
> win2k on it.

I've worked with Windows in home, business, and small scale enterprise
environments for the last 5 years, and from a low-key development
perspective for the last 2.  Let me know when you have as much
experience as I do.

-- Quension