[IRCServices] ircservices on windows

openglx openglx at thedarkside.com.br
Sat Jul 6 05:24:00 PDT 2002

Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 04:24:45PM -0400, Philippe Levesque <p_levesque at sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>>>He's bound by the license to release the source as well.  Besides, he
>>>offered to do as much.
>>>

>>Yes, he can release the source as well, but, the binary are already compiled,
>>thats my point, nothing can told me it's compiled with the correct source.
>

> That's the problem with all closed-source software.
>
> To the one who wants to release win32 binaries : please make sure you
> follow what's restricted by the GPL. The source must be included, for
> example.
> Additionnaly, I don't think it's required, but providing detailed
> instructions on how you compiled the services might help the paranoid
> people here :)
> sthing like :
> - install cygwin
> - apply this patch
> etc etc etc :)
>
> I don't use ircservices, but aren't there compile-time options (like
> IRCD type) you need to take care of ? Wouldn't it be a better idea to
> only provide docs on how to compile, leaving the compilation as an
> exercice to the reader ? If Andrew agrees, those docs could be included
> in ircservices, for example.
>
> lucas

Yes lucas, your points are pretty good.. I have compiled the ircservices
on my way, but I didn't think on other people.

So, I will discard the chance of releasing a binary-only version of
ircservices, to not give some stupid questions like "why this windows
ircservices don't run on unreal" (I compiled it for bahamut, it's one of
my favorite ircds).

I will try to talk to Andrew to he release a patch to compile on cygwin
(for all who want that).

I want to thank all who wrote here, becose everyone idea is important to me.