AW: [IRCServices] Is there a timeline in the future for supporting ircd2.9 or greater

Yusuf Iskenderoglu uhc0 at rz.uni-karlsruhe.de
Mon Aug 5 19:45:01 PDT 2002

Hi,

though I am not an authority, I would say NO, because ircd2.10
and later is not designed to work with a services server
(and not SERVICE's which are a totally different kind),
because of the following:

- Lack of a global kline (akill would not work)
- Lack of topic burst
- Lack of services-savvy functions like (SVSMODE, SVSNICK)
- Lack of privilege level (like U:Line) so that certain clients
  can do more (kill, mode, kick, topic) without having to join
  channels.

Unless IRCnet coders start coding their ircd to support services,
I do not see any point in supporting that ircd, since the kludges
and hacks to accomplish those mentioned functionality would take
too much time.

Example:
- Instead of Autokilling, services would need to continously send
  KILL, and this would work as long as you configure your server
  to allow remote KILLs.
- After a netjoin, a channel could have different topics the amount
  of linking servers, and services would never notice it, and
  it also would not need resetting topics.
- Services would even not see a netsplit happening, if:
	bla.xxx.com splits from
	hub.xxx.com but, hub.xxx.com represents themselves as
	*.xxx.com and any server behind them is hidden from the
	network.
- Guest'ing would not work, since SVSNICK is not there.
- In order for ChanServ to MODE #channel +o nick, ChanServ should
  join the channel, and become op by services server, and then
  set op on another user
- The same for kick and topic.

Moreover, ircservices cannot be redesigned to work as SERVICE's,
because a SERVICE is not differentiated by name, but name at host,
and this would mean, that anyone could link up their NickServ
to the net as a service, and the best_service() thing from
IRCnet ircd would just choose ONE optimal choise for you, leading
to total inconsistency with registration/access lists, etc.

I am additionally not sure, whether IRCnets SERVICE's are allowed
to MODE/KICK/TOPIC.

Regards;
yusuf

PS: What is actually the main reason for you to use ircd2.10 or
later ? I ask just because of interest. (You can answer me
privately to this question, if you want)

| Yusuf Iskenderoglu                | You get to meet all sorts, |
| eMail - uhc0 at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de| in this line of work...    |
| eMail - s_iskend at ira.uka.de       |                            |
| ICQ UIN : 20587464 \ TimeMr14C    |                            |