[IRCServices] Is there a timeline in the future for supporting ircd2.9 or greater

Frederico C Wilhelms Fred fred at swebmail.jorlan.com
Tue Aug 20 13:17:00 PDT 2002

Hi Yusuf,

I apologize about the delay in answering this but here it goes,

>PS: What is actually the main reason for you to use ircd2.10 or
>later ? I ask just because of interest.

The main reason is because of  “lacks”.

Lack of information
Lack of knowledge
Lack of standards
Lack of communication
Lack of understanding.
Lack of services.log
Lack of funcionality

Let me explain that:
After some research, found out that in all major  (and most minor)
linux distribution boxes the ISC-IRC distribution comes along with the
latest version (2.9.XXX or greater). For a newbie IRC administrator,
it is presumed that de IETF-RFCs should be the standard, since the
ISC-IRCD follow that, one would not know about its non-conformance to
SERVICES.
To aggravate this, when you try to run a sample network in order to
clear up confusion on HUBbing IRCD you get on several little problems
like finding out why didn't the compilation turn on that “#define HUB”
pragma so it would work as a HUB not as a LEAF and whom ever you talk
to would blame your ircd.conf file (that actually is just fine).
When you finally get it working, you figure out missing funcionality,
which are nick registration, channel registration and auto-opping, memos,
and it goes on...  (some one ask why IRC is not icq or powow?, can't blame
them on that one). So one goes back to research on finds out SERVICES.
Next step read de README -> here it states: It doesn't work with IRCD 2.9>  ..

I was puzzled! My premissive was RFC is the standard, ISC-IRCD follows
RFC so thats the way to go.
Got back to dalnet, ircnet, undernet, and other..nets, found out there
are bahamut followers, unreal followers, dream followers, and lots of
IRCD religions out there, every one stating it's religion is paradise.

After reading all list archives, found out that I wasn't the only one,
understood the position of  Mr Andrew, and  the difference (*** didn't
figure it out on the beggining ***) of IRC Services and SERVICES. Got
back to Bahamut, recompiled and installed everything, got SERVICES
running and solved my problem.

The WHY still remains the same, IETF-RFC should be the standard.

I won't blame anyone (still studying the code), rather more just think
about it a little and imagine a moment where ISC-IRCD and SERVICES
comes forward to an pacific coexistance. Thats what made internet a
worldwide standard independent of commercial support, but supporting
people all over.

For what its worth, a final word here:
	 untill now, this is a great piece of work!  Congrats...

Frederico C Wilhelms
fred at jorlan.com
Senior Support Analist
www.jorlan.com

P.S.
If one does wish to share feelings or oppinions about the answer
above, please do it in private in order to maintain the objective of
this list, I'm just asking a relevant WHY question.
Mr Yusuf, thanks for the opportunity.