[IRCServices] InspIRCd hits Alpha.

Craig McLure frostycoolslug at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 26 00:30:01 PDT 2002

Firstly i would like to note that Andrew has approved this email.

A while back, i mentioned that some of the ChatSpike opers were planning an
IRCd, that matched Functionality, with Stability, we began work on the IRCd
itself about a week ago, and since then have had a few basic alphas out, and
have relelased a website (http://www.inspircd.org)

"Inspire is a project created to provide a stable ircd (irc server) which
provides a vast number of features in a modularised form. By keeping the
functionality of the main core to a minimum we hope to increase the
stability and speed of our project and make it customisable to the needs of
many users. The project is written from scratch, avoiding the inherent
instability and security problems found in many other irc server
distributions (such as many based upon the bahamut branch of ircd)."

We released Alpha2 earlier today, and have hit the stage where it needs
proper testing from people other than ourselves. Obviously it is by no means
ready to be used on productive servers, and if you do this, you are insane,
and do so at your own risk.

Instead of mailing lists, we are providing forums for support and help, and
we have a copy of the mantis bug tracking software in place for bugs,
Although you will have to sign up for each seperatly, and a CVS repository
will be avaliable to us in the near future

You are welcome to submit modifications to our code, just discuss the ideas
on the forums (these will be checked at least twice a day).

So please, Help us out, download a copy and get people to try and break it,
then report bugs to the website. Hopefully in a short while, we can take it
into official beta, then into a stable release.

Thank you for your time.

--
Craig McLure
Craig at chatspike.net
Network Administrator of the ChatSpike IRC Network.
ChatSpike, the users network! www.chatspike.net