[IRCServices] Question about IrcServices 5.01/02 and bahamut 1.4.34

JT jtraub+irc at dragoncat.net
Sat Oct 26 11:55:01 PDT 2002

On Sat, 26 Oct 2002, JT wrote:
> I registered a channel.  I want to be autooped when I join the channel.
> I get a message from the server that services.dragoncat.net (the
> psuedo-server I use) has removed my oper status.  I have (as expected)
> founder level access to the channel.  When I try /msg chanserv op #test
> JT it tells me that I'm already opped, but I'm not.

Okay, a bit more info.

It only seems to happen to the *first* user to join the channel.
I added a second user and made them an autoop.  Whichever joins the
channel first gets their operator mode removed by services.dragoncat.net.
The other one when it joins, gets given chanops by ChanServ.  Also,
killing services and restarting them results in the correct modes being
given to the user.  It's also correctable by issuing a /msg Chanserv deop
#channel user and then a /msg chanserv op #channel user.  Attempting to
issue the op alone result is a message from chanserv about already being
opped.

Looking a bit further, I found the 'KnownBugs' list and this seems to be
related to the bug on 'failure to detect node bouncing' though I'm not
sure why this might be.

Looking at the code, the problem seems to be in the input to
check_chan_user_modes.

The difference is that u->mode seems to be 1 in the case of the first user
to join the channel even though it is getting unset by the services
server.  It looks as if the service is not noticing that the +o mode for
first user on the channel was automatically reset (even though I have
LEAVEOPS set on the channel :() and thus thinks it doesn't need to set the
op.

I'm more than willing to help debug this further if people can suggest
where I might want to go looking.

Followups to this should probably move to the code list if they get into
the nitty-gritty of patches, but I figured initial discussion/report
should be on the more general list.

--JT

--
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]