[IRCServices] Network Policies..

Craig McLure Craig at chatspike.net
Mon Nov 18 10:51:21 PST 2002

We had a problem on our network with a "Server Administrator" with shell access to his server, slowly setting his network access higher, to Services admin, he also added the "globalroute" ability on his oper{} and started squitting some of our servers.. we promptly removed his server from the map.. it brought us to thinking.. Would there be a way to prevent this occuring in the future, some times server admins, sometimes friends, appear nice, and give you a server, then turn on you.. We originally started thinking of introducing "Policies" on our IRCd, but then Brain` came up with the idea of coding it into services.. OperServ or a new services would be able to control other opers, and make sure their privs havnt been changed without permission, obviously this has its problems, but we should be able to solve them.. The main Questions are..

Would you use it?
Should it be intergrated into OperServ or a new Service Created?
Should the Opers be handled via Config, or thru a database?

Craig McLure - Craig at chatspike.net
ChatSpike - The users network: http://www.chatspike.net
InspIRCd - Modular IRC server: http://www.inspircd.org