[IRCServices] My ideas for WAKILL

calimonk calimonk at gmx.net
Thu Dec 12 11:10:01 PST 2002

Hey everyone,

Just a brainstorm i had, here goes. (Excuse bad spelling i had a rough sleep)

WAKILL... What the hell is WAKILL you might ask, let me explain.

Recently i've noticed that 'standard' akills just won't be able to ban what
we need, so i figured we need akills with 'more' or 'better' wildcards.

If not for instance, bots connect with QKGJLKSD, QKLGJLKE, QLKTEFDF,
QGKLJEGS as ident and all random realname and nicknames, we can only put an
akill on *Q*@* something which is generally not so great.

Now lets see what they have in common, they all start with teh letter Q and
have a total of 8 characters, all upcase. Now if we could just add an akill
as this:
*Q{7,CU}*@*

This would mean, akill all idents starting with a capital Q, and 7
characters (7,C) after that and all UPPERCASE (U). Now i'm no real wizard
with making new wildcards and stuff but i'm sure people have already made
up things like this for other programming languages. With this method you
could remove the bots you normally can't.

Another example

bots connect with the ident 1234567_, 6364356_, 9589435_ once again all
random nickname and random nicknames and hosts.

New wakill way of banning this:
*{7,N(0-9)}_@*

Akill all hosts with numbers which have 7 Numeric characters in a row from
the number 0 till 9. and a _ behind it.

These are ways that imho won't kill massive amounts of users like you would
normally with for instance *~Q*@*, if the ident isn't resolved at these
hosts adding a ~ at the beginning makes the chances of a real user having
that exact mask near to 0%, chances of a user having an ident like
~84235664_ at host.here is very small, however banning a host like this with
*~{7,N(0-9)}_@* would remove all the bots you had that were for instance
flooding.

The reason i call it WAKILL, is because it differs so much from real
akills, i just figured WAKILL could mean something like Wildcard Akill.

I personally think this would be a real help on banning bots, with the
current way akills work you can never effectively ban a bot that has a mask
like
*<7 random numbers in a row here>@*

with the new way you would just do *{7,N(0-9)}@* and you've gotten rid of
the bots.

This can be combined with Numeric, Characters or Alfa numeric characters of
course, you could set a thing like

*{7,UC(A-F)}@* to for instance ban idents with 7 characters in a row
differing from the letter A till the letter F, all being Uppercase.

I personally really don't feel users would be affected with this way of
akilling but bots would get removed alot faster and easier. If a botnet
with idents like the one i just said connect, with over 500 bots all random
hosts, nicknames and realnames you can't effectively ban them at all. With
this new way you can.

I hope you all get my point.

- CaliMonk

CaliMonk