[IRCServices] Services Losing #channels

Andrew Church achurch at achurch.org
Thu Jan 23 06:23:01 PST 2003

>I registered a #channel once I first got Services up and running.  It
>even reflects so in the log:
>
>[Jan 01 14:51:20 2003] chanserv/main: Channel #family registered by
>tdh!tdh at 192.168.0.2
>
>Today, I come home, and notice that ChanServ has changed the mode to -r,
>and tells me it's not registered.
>
>< tdh> list *family*
>-ChanServ(services at unixtechs.org)- List of entries matching *family*:
>-ChanServ(services at unixtechs.org)- End of list; 0/0 matches shown.

     Three possibilities come to mind:

(1) The channel expired.  Given the time lapse I suspect this is the most
likely cause.  If this is the case, the expiration should have been logged.

(2) Services was terminated (by OperServ QUIT or a fatal signal) between
the time you registered the channel and the next database sync.

(3) Someone else dropped the channel, either by stealing/guessing the
channel password or by using Services administrator privileges.

  --Andrew Church
    achurch at achurch.org
    http://achurch.org/