[IRCServices] Services in channel opers

Trevor Talbot quension at mac.com
Tue Apr 15 20:50:42 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003, at 18:16 US/Pacific, Ian R. Justman wrote:

> Finny Merrill wrote:
>> On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 17:43:56 +0200, Dylan v.d Merwe
>> <dylanvdm at icon.co.za> wrote:
>>> The days have long passed when services used to act like bots and
>>> sit in
>>> channels. It is now against the irc protocol to allow this,
>>> therefore it
>>> does not happen nor can you set them to do so in the config file.
>>>
>>> You can force services into a channel using RAW commands but this is
>>> highly
>>> discouraged as all sorts of things can go wrong. Leave them where
>>> they are,
>>> you'll be just fine.
>>>
>>> Dylan.
>> Whoa, when did it become against the irc protocol to do this? And
>> which
>> irc protocol anyway? :p
>
> Best thing I can gather is RFC 2813 section 2.2.2 which reads as
> follows:

irc2's concept of a "service" is rather different from the concept of
a service most people on this list are used to.  In irc2, it's a special
connection, neither client nor server.  Methods for addressing it are
also different.

That might be what Dylan was referring to, but it doesn't apply to
IRCServices.

> Though also, I've seen Hybserv's Services' nicks join channels on two
> different
> Hybrid/Hybserv networks.  I don't entirely see the point of that
> myself.

Classic hybrid requires a client to be in the channel to actually
complete
actions such as topic changes.  It's born from way too many backwards-
compatibility requirements...

-- Quension