[IRCServices] using a different database for user auth?

Andrew Church achurch at achurch.org
Wed Apr 30 13:09:30 PDT 2003

     In the future, Services will (hopefully) support other methods of data
storage, but something as unusual as you suggest would likely still need a
custom module to be written.  As far as the current version of Services
goes, yes, you can use XML to update the databases, but be aware that
Services is not currently capable of importing XML data while running;
since it would not be advisable to allow anyone to restart Services by
creating a new account (think "while true ; do wget ... ; done"), you could
set up a cron job to terminate Services, import any new/changed data, and
restart Services periodically, say in the early morning.  (If you do this,
make sure you use "kill" or "kill -TERM" to terminate Services--if you use
"kill -INT" or other signals, Services will not save the databases on exit.)

  --Andrew Church
    achurch at achurch.org
    http://achurch.org/