[IRCServices] Major fizzer worm problem

V13 v13 at it.teithe.gr
Wed May 14 12:41:04 PDT 2003

On Wednesday 14 May 2003 17:32, Fireman wrote:
> We are also one of the targets and we had been glining them.  But what we
> noticed was that the roughly 7000 glines we had set were causing the cpu
> processes to run up higher than normal and was actually causing a bigger
> problem.  What we decided to do was to just stop banning them and see how
> things go.  So far we have noticed less cpu usage and less bandwidth usage.
> It's basically a "lesser of two evils" approach.

We have patched our services-4 to accept regular expression akills (only by
services admins) in the form of:

[+][nick!]userid at hostname[#gecos]

Where + matches a client using an unregistered nickname. When a client matches
this regular expression services place a 30 min k-line on his IP (which is
the same as a zline for bahamut)...

I believe that a feature like this would solve your gline problem if there is
any pattern on the bots...

> Fireman
<<V13>>