[IRCServices] Feature Suggestion

Yusuf Iskenderoglu uhc0 at rz.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sat Jun 14 14:42:28 PDT 2003

Hello;

This time I wanted to tell you a feature suggestion:

Currently, the nickname link system allows a user to use different
nicknames, as if they are the same nick for services, in case the user
gets an access for a certain nick, they actually get it for the main
nick.

My suggestion is the expansion of this to nicknames, which are not
linked to their nicknames, in other words, identifying another nickname.

This way, a user would have the ability to identify a certain nick for a
period (max until signoff), and they would not remain identified to that
nick for all time, since it is not linked.

This might be used, if a certain nickname is about to be shared by
multiple persons;
- for example identifying to a Bot's nickname, while testing a bot
software
- a shared services operator system; where only few nicknames with
certain OperServ rights exist, and the normal operators identify the
nickname of the services operator.
- Surprise effect: A user, who is also the founder of a channel, is
willing to chat without being continously identified as the founder, and
is willing to detect if the operators are "nice" to normal users, and
chats with them, and then wants to remove their access, and does this by
identifying to the founders nickname and issuing access del...

Among this feature, the following commands look reasonable:
NS IDENTIFY password [nickname]
NS UNIDENTIFY nickname
CS WHY #channel nickname

The last command would show information like
-is operator on #channel, because identified to blah's nickname
-is voiced on #channel, because autovoice level is 0
-is halfopped on #channel, because using a identified to their own
nickname
-is not on #channel
-is not opped on #channel, because the nickname is not identified
-is not opped on #channel, because the nickname is not registered

I am not insisting that this feature must be implemented, I am just
interested in the possible replies.

Best regards;
yusuf

| Yusuf Iskenderoglu                | You get to meet all sorts, |
| eMail - uhc0 at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de| in this line of work...    |
| eMail - s_iskend at ira.uka.de       |                            |
| ICQ UIN : 20587464 \ TimeMr14C    |                            |