[IRCServices] -Global- From Craig: ?

M mark at ctcp.net
Mon Jul 14 14:53:55 PDT 2003

> i dunno about anyone else, but i've often gotten complaints
> that were sent about globals on my network from users..
> Globals which other members of staff and have nothing to do with me.

I disagree. Sometimes you might not wish to attribute the message to a
single individual. If globals are being issued that need sufficient
support to make this suggestion, then surely it is a problem that needs
resolving within your Admins/Opers rather than a coding one. I assume
that you have a central channel for network support and that appropriate
individuals are rquired to be in that channel, so that would surely be
the first place where users would go for assistance and the person who
issued it would be present.

The name of the person issuing it is logged so can be tracked. IMO a
better suggestion would be to add a wallops to services stating that a
given nick issued a global since this would at least inform opers (and
+w users) who issued a given global. I did think this functionality
existed, but a quick look at the code does not suggest it does and a
quick test does not produce a wallops.

M.