[IRCServices] secure Identify Feature..

Andrew Church achurch at achurch.org
Wed Apr 14 09:42:30 PDT 2004

>Another possible advantage to this command thou.. If for some weird
>reason, someone finds your channel password, this command would prevent
>them from doing anything with it, as they would not be able to log on as
>channel founder (Unless they were on the access list).

     It's always been my policy not to try and defend against user
stupidity; "build idiot-proof software, and Nature will build a better
idiot"--it's a losing battle.  I realize that with the glut of online
services these days, it's next to impossible to memorize "good", distinct
passwords for everything, and I'll admit even I keep my less important
passwords stored in an encrypted file on my PC.  Nonetheless, the password
itself should almost never be needed, since the founder can perform all
founder functions (except dropping) by identifying for their nick.  If the
founder does choose to share the password, e.g. while going on vacation,
and said password is abused, as far as I'm concerned that's their fault,
and there's nothing Services should do about it.

  --Andrew Church
    achurch at achurch.org
    http://achurch.org/