[IRCServices] Creating passworded channels with ChanServ enforcing.

JASON M dawgclan at shaw.ca
Mon Apr 26 09:25:40 PDT 2004

"An option to make ChanServ stay in some/all registered channels: I see absolutely no necessity for this feature, since (1) Services' channel privilege and information functions will operate whether or not ChanServ (or any users at all) are in the channel, and (2) if someone really wants to keep a channel open for some reason, they can use an ordinary bot. Furthermore, having ChanServ stay in channels will dramatically increase the amount of traffic Services has to handle, which will in turn reduce the rate at which Services can respond to requests. (This has also been discussed to death on the mailing list, so please don't ask for it to be reconsidered.)"

I have only a few things to add. The privelidge system doesn't necessarily work if you can't lock a channel correctly? Sure you could get an eggdrop... Yet they won't be services and I honestly don't see why a feature like this couldn't be added. Defaultly Off, with the ability to turn on? It can't slow down Services too greatly as a server such as GamSurge A.K.A. GamesNet who uses SRVX has ChanServ in their 30,000+ Channels with obviously more users than that. They seem to respond perfectly fine 90-95% of the time. Perhaps SRVX has developed a good method? They mustn't ignore channel text as srvx has channel triggers?

I would not be so against this, if the passwording of a channel actually worked... Would there be a method you could create instead perhaps like a "set chanpass" option. I am unsure of how IRCd and Services interact, yet perhaps on receiving a join command set the pass before the user joins or check the password param from the user against the chanpass setting? Once again I am not sure how they interact :) I just use them. A Services solution to passwording channels would be nice though.

I agree I could have read the FAQ, It didn't cross my mind, so thats quite a legit response.

Regards,

Jason Mainwaring
A+ Service Technician
Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator
MCSA Messaging
Certified Novell Administrator
Phone: (02) 9419 4616
E-mail: dawgclan at shaw.ca