[IRCServices] Feature: nickchange and guestnickprefix

Craig McLure Craig at chatspike.net
Thu Apr 29 20:46:31 PDT 2004

Andrew isnt refering to 'randomly generated nick registration', Andy is just stating that the nickname that services will change your nick to is 'randomly generated' what and is also saying, that if it were to generate a new nickname for a user based on its current nickname, it would have to check to see if that nickname is registered before changing it. (for example, Craig is taken, someone tries to use it, Services wants to change the nickname to Craig132123, it has to check to see if Craig132123 is already registered before changing the nickname. Otherwise, you may hit another already registered nick.). Nicknames with the guestprefix cannot be registered at all. Meaning that services doesnt have to perform registration checks on it before changing the nick.

There are other methods of preventing mass registration, including Registration delays, E-Mail authorisation, etc.

 *     Craig "FrostyCoolSlug" McLure
 * InspIRCd   - http://www.inspircd.org  - REVIVED
 * ChatSpike  - http://www.chatspike.net

 * From    - Alexander_Zverev <Alexander_Zverev at oxy.com>
 * To      - ircservices at ircservices.za.net <ircservices at ircservices.za.net>
 * Sent    - 2004-04-30 03:58:12
 * Subject - RE: [IRCServices] Feature: nickchange and guestnickprefix

/****** - Begin Original Message - ******/