[IRCServices] NickServ enforcer bug when unlinking nicknames

Bergee lordbergee at comcast.net
Tue Jul 13 16:32:11 PDT 2004

	I recently experienced a minor bug on my network which is currently
running IRCServices 5.0.31 on Red Hat Linux 9.0 on an Intel Celeron 1.7
GHz processor.
	A while ago I noticed that a NickServ Enforcer bot had been sitting on
a nickname for over an hour.  Checking NickServ INFO returned that the
nickname was not registered.  After a little investigating in the log
files I noticed that the nickname had very recently been unlinked by its
owner.  With that in hand I've been able to consistently reproduce the
problem by taking the following steps:  (This assumes of course that
your network does not have NSForceNickChange enabled.)
	1) Register a nickname and enable automatic kill protection and then
link another nickname to your name.
	2) Have another user use the nickname you just linked and wait for
NickServ to kill the user.
	3) Unlink the other nickname from your main nickname and watch as the
NickServ enforcer bot doesn't ever release the nickname.  If you attempt
to use NickServ release you will be told the nickname isn't being held.
	Before reporting the problem, I upgraded to IRCServices 5.0.36 and it
is still reproducible.  I believe that Services should simply remove the
enforcer bot holding a nickname if the user unlinks the nickname while
the enforcer is online.

Bergee