[IRCServices] IRC Services 5.1 Features

Andrew Church achurch at achurch.org
Wed Jul 14 13:50:32 PDT 2004

>1a) Support for the Ultimate3 ircd protocol  :)

     Noted.  (No promises, though... maaaybe if you get enough people to
pester me ;) )

>1b) Option in ChanServ to specify who get the channel-admin mode (founder, founder & SOPs, none) defaults to founder

     I admit handling of the channel admin/owner mode was only added in as
a "might as well use it" sort of thing.  I'm not sure I like the idea of
adding yet another ChanServ option, though.  As far as I understand it
(correct me if I'm wrong), channel owner mode is just like protected (+a)
except that it can't be unset by other +a users; if that's the case, I'm
not sure there's much reason to use it at all--after all, ChanServ will
always let the founder unban, rejoin, and get +a back as needed.  (And
internally, channel owner mode support is a pain because different ircds
use different mode letters for it.)

     What would people think of just doing away with channel owner mode
support entirely?

>2) An ability in MemoServ to split channel memos and send one memo to each of those who have access to channel memos. Maybe a settable option in module config

     Channel memos is one thing I've been meaning to revisit for a while;
thanks for reminding me.  The channel memo system is a major hack as is,
with no notification or anything else that can be done for nicknames.  So
let me pose a question:  What would you (anyone feel free to reply) want to
use channel memos for?  In what cases would you want to send a memo to a
channel, and who would you want to read the memo?  I've got a few redesign
possibilities in mind, but to avoid leading questions, I won't mention them
right now; just assume channel memos could do anything you want, and tell
me what you'd want them to do.

  --Andrew Church
    achurch at achurch.org
    http://achurch.org/