[IRCServices] IRC Services 5.1 Features

Andrew Church achurch at achurch.org
Wed Jul 14 20:32:27 PDT 2004

>| - At least some progress toward support for MySQL/etc. databases
>
>What type of database are you using now? Something you have wrote
>yourself? Pesonaly I don't think mysql is a good idea, it will be on
>heavy load if it's a medmium network.

     The current format is a flat file, and hacked at that to retain
compatibility with the format used in 4.5.  I had intended to redo the
format for 5.0, but it was too much work at the time to redesign the
database system with the needed modularity.

     As far as DBMS support goes, (I mentioned this in an earlier message
as well, but) most of the requests I've had are in order for other programs
to be able to easily access Services' databases, and for that a periodic
sync to disk (same as for the current flat-file format) ought to be
sufficient.  I don't share your pessimism that the load for using a DBMS
in real time would be unmanageable, but due to the significant changes
required such a feature is much farther off.

  --Andrew Church
    achurch at achurch.org
    http://achurch.org/