[IRCServices] Attacks on services

Yusuf Iskenderoglu uhc0 at rz.uni-karlsruhe.de
Wed Jul 28 02:01:17 PDT 2004

The problem they have is, that when such an attack starts,
services after some time stop responding, making the ircd quit the link,
and looking at the table of processes shows, that services sits there
with 99% CPU usage, requiring kill -9 to be shut down.

That attack has a simple appearance:
A set of probably trojaned connections, that even reply to simple CTCP
requests, begin connecting, and floodding services with multiple nick
registration commands, changing nicknames, and floodding again,
quitting, reconnecting, and floodding again.

Just before services start responding, notices arrive that it is not
parsing privmsgs anymore, due to network load, but even then it gets
disconnected.

Interestingly, setting it temporarily to readonly mode helped,
apparently it could response.

Currently we have no solution for this kind of attack, those connections
are not detected by the proxy scanner, we assume that these aren't using
proxies at all.

Temporarily /modunload'ing m_nick.so and /close'ing helps to postpone
the issue :-)

Regards;
yusuf.