[IRCServices] "Read Only Mode"

Medice medice at gmx.at
Mon Aug 30 14:16:48 PDT 2004

Tom Moyer wrote:
> Craig the coding side I don't know much about, as I am not a coder, and I
> joined this msg board primarily to see what is new with IRC services, and
> maybe talk myself in to switching back.  That being said, my only question
> to you is this.  Why didn't you keep the ip address to your services box
> private... most ircd's hide it now.  You can't do a /stats c unless you're
> an ircoper on most ircd's so why did you give out that ip address?  The one
> sure fire way to keep services going, and to keep your network from being
> taken out in one fail swoop is to keep all your hubs and Services on private
> ip addresses.  IE ip addresses that no one knows about.

What kind of DDos? Mass-Clones joining your network and sending inside
IRC many commands around - or something directly on the machines?

If second, I would agree with Tom Moyer - it's a good idea to run hubs
and especially services on secret IPs - if your ircd may block /stats
for non-opers - you're a winner - if not, you may play around with dns
f.e. services.yournet.tld = 127.0.0.1 for the world - and has the
"correct" DNS-entry only the uplink-ircd (same with
uplink-hub.yournet.tld maybe?) - i've this constellation on several
networks where /stats c is allowed to users...

I know - ddos is a !"$&$"$(( - but one possible solution worth a try is
to move targets out of range, as good as possible...

greets and good luck on fighting ddos

/medice