[IRCServices] Opnotice.

Andrew Church achurch at achurch.org
Sat Dec 11 02:45:18 PST 2004

>Its not often that i go against everyones wishes, but i agree with this 100%, i generally use /cs op and /cs deop so that users DONT know whos issuing the commands, the ops should know, yes.. but imo, not the users. saying 'Switch off opnotice' doesnt solve the problem. I dont want to revert to /os mode every time i wanna op someone without everyone knowing, or switching on and off opnotice so i can.

     And I don't think you should be allowed to do that.  "Hiding" the
sending user was never an intention of /cs op, but the result of how the
IRC protocol is designed (you can't send ":user1 MODE #channel +o user2"
for a user on another server).  OPNOTICE was intended to restore the
original behavior of everyone being able to see who made the change; it's
optional instead of standard because it results in two lines per mode
change, which can be excessive depending on the channel.

     If it really bothers you that normal users can see who +o'd who else,
then turn OPNOTICE off and hack your IRC server so that it substitutes (for
example) the server name in place of the real mode sender when telling
non-ops about +o's.

  --Andrew Church
    achurch at achurch.org
    http://achurch.org/