[IRCServices] Re: A minor.. issue..

Craig McLure Craig at frostycoolslug.com
Wed Mar 30 20:10:20 PST 2005

Ok, can we please stop the slightly spammy emailing.. Thanks.

After giving w00t a bashing, he responded with a slightly more useful query:

 > I did have a point to that email, I just didn't really make it clear.
 > My point was, if the IRCd is introducing nickserv etc back to
 > services, wouldn't it b e a way for services to track themselves being
 > in channels etc?

I'll answer that here, as it seems relevent :p
--

Yes it is, however, it had some unforseen conciquences, including
Operserv killing other pseudos for breaking the exception limits etc

Services are designed to not be known to exist for a reason, this is
just one of them (I'm sure there are more).

What happened to us was an accident, based on our linking protocols, its
undesigned behaviour, and services didn't know how to correctly respond
to it, so went nuts.

Services being aware that they exist could also result in a LOT of
redundant data beeing sent back to them, you must remember, Services
attmpts to parse EVERYTHING that is sent to them via the IRCd, and
because its not been programmed to allow for this, it could easily cause
overflows / segfaults (Although from my experiance with the code, i
doubt this would happen, but the fact recieving this crap isn't in its
design, bad things could happen).

Its for reasons such as this, that botserv isn't very possible with the
current services core.

  *     Craig "FrostyCoolSlug" McLure
  *       Craig at FrostyCoolSlug.com
  * InspIRCd   - http://www.inspircd.org