[IRCServices] IrcServices enforcing +R

ongeboren xxx.coder at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 06:59:48 PDT 2007

Imho, "modes lock" and "modes enforcement" are 2 different things. If
they are separated, channel owners could decide not to enforce the
modes, allowing for instance cmode +b be used to silence a user (as
some irc servers don't allow messages from banned users) but still
keep the banned user in the channel. Analogously, the same goes for
cmode +r (identified to services only). Further, if configured by the
services admin, services could act even more aggressively by kicking
all users matching a ban not placed via the ban list in services but
via /mode #chan +b mask, provided the channel has "modes enforcement
on". The last extra isn't probably desirable for big production
networks.

Feel free to disagree with me, but propose something better instead,
as my idea should be trivial to implement and is an acceptable
compromise.