[IRCServices] IRC Services end-of-life announcement

Ian Justman ianj at ian-justman.com
Thu Dec 31 19:21:30 PST 2010

Andrew Church wrote:
> To all,
>
> Happy New Year!  I hope you are enjoying whatever holiday season you may
> be celebrating.
>
> As previously announced, the maintenance period for Services 5.1 has
> ended, and I will be taking down the Services website and mailing lists
> shortly following this announcement.  I will continue to accept reports
> of bugs which significantly affect security or stability and release
> updates to version 5.1 as necessary (there will be no further updates to
> version 5.0 in any case, even for security-related issues); please send
> such bug reports to me directly, at achurch at achurch.org.  The source code
> for Services will remain available at the current URL:
>     http://www.ircservices.za.net/download/
> through April 5, 2011, and release notifications will be posted on the
> project's Freshmeat page:
>     http://freshmeat.net/projects/ircservices/
>
> Thank you all once again for your support over the years.
>
> Best wishes,
>
>   --Andrew Church
>     achurch at achurch.org
>     http://achurch.org/

For my part:

I'd like to thank you all for all your support throughout the years,
bearing with me when I had to deal with a few migrations, upgrades and
what not.

And here we are, over a decade later and many installations later, it's
humbling to see how everyone's efforts in maintaining this software have
gone to servicing many IRC networks throughout the Internet.  It's been
quite a long time, and I'm glad to have had some part in it.

As administrator of the server which houses the lists, I'd like to say
that I hope I've been of help to everyone over the years, but now that
my role is done, I will be tearing the lists down.  However, I will be
honest and say that I will not be sorry to do so.  My feelings can best
be described as follows:

I.

Fucking.

Hate.

Mailman.

When I migrated to Jaunty earlier this year, I had to essentially
massage Mailman's data into the new system.  It was not fun.  I
absolutely cannot stand this software.  Despite its being one of the
better-maintained pieces of mailing list management software, I cannot
be convinced to run this software ever again.  I hate it that much.

Anyway, enough venting.

I would like to wish everyone the very best in your endeavors.

Take care!

--Ian.

--
Ian R. Justman
UNIX hacker.  Anime fan.  Any questions?