[IRCServices Coding] Services' segfault

Andrew Church achurch at achurch.org
Fri Feb 8 08:29:06 PST 2002

>I have also had situations where what shows in the core file doesn't seem to
>have to do anything with the bug. I've actually been trying to fix one. I
>haven't even been able to locate where the bug is because the core file
>doesn't point it in the right place.
>
>What exactly does this mean, and what is the best way to go about
>finding/fixing these types of bugs?

     Depending on what Services was doing when it crashed and what caused
the problem, gdb may not be able to get backtrace information from the
stack and only print out garbage pointers.  If this happens, about the only
thing you can do is put in debugging statements or run Services under gdb
and set breakpoints around where you think the bug is happening, and hope
you manage to catch it.

  --Andrew Church
    achurch at achurch.org
    http://achurch.org/