[IRCServices Coding] rfc violation ?

Thomas J. Stensås ShadowMaster at Shadow-Realm.org
Sat Feb 23 13:59:01 PST 2002

On Saturday 23 February 2002 22:31, you wrote:
> -NickServ- nick, type /IDENTIFY password.  Otherwise,
>
> Services are using a NOTICE to notify the user that he needs to identify
> himself. Is this correct? RFC says that no auto-reply should be send when a
> notice is received, but this is not possible in case of a bot or an
> auto-identify script, since the notification is send using a NOTICE and not
> a PRIVMSG. :)

There is no violation. The notice is not sent as a reply to anything other
than a user using a registered nickname.

If the client chooses to violate the RFC by automatically respond to the
notices sent by services, thats the clients problem.
--
Yours Sincerely

Thomas Juberg Stensås

-- What we do in life echoes in eternity.

DMCA?  Who cares?  http://thefreeworld.net/