[IRCServices Coding] GCC3

Andrew Church achurch at achurch.org
Mon Feb 25 18:01:46 PST 2002

     The major problem I have with GCC 3.0 is that it reorders structures
(or at least did at one point), which would break convert-db, and in
general is a Bad Idea (among other things it prevents you from laying
structures on top of data in memory).  Does anyone know if this has been
fixed or if there's a way around it?

>IIRC the warning about "ngi might be used uninitialised" is not merely a
>GCC 3.0 error since I have been seeing it for a while.
>
>It occurs because of the way the code initialises ngi within an if
>condition where another condition that must be true is also involved.
>
>Personally, I would fix such a warning since it would be a legitimate
>operation for the compiler to generate code that could skip the
>initialisation of ngi.

     ngi is never used if it isn't initialized (read the code).  I've
never seen this warning, incidentally; have you changed the default
compiler options?

  --Andrew Church
    achurch at achurch.org
    http://achurch.org/