[IRCServices Coding] Services 5.0a21 problems

Andrew Church achurch at achurch.org
Tue Feb 26 16:32:57 PST 2002

>Services appears to be losing the operserv oper/admin list. When it starts
>up it seems to ignore or throw away the current contents of the database
>and the entries have to be added back in.
>
>The only error in the log is:
>[Feb 16 17:11:19 2002] IRC Services 5.0a21 starting up
>[Feb 16 17:11:19 2002] database/version4: Read error on nick.db

     Found and fixed; apparently some earlier alphas left a nickgroup with
ID 0 in the database, which causes a read error when loading.

>As a suggestion, could the database error reporting be made provide a
>little more information as to which failure occurred. E.g. read error on %s
>by currentfunction.

     I do plan to change a few error messages around, but in general "read
error" means "unexpected EOF", and in such a case reporting where it came
from is pretty meaningless (since the actual data corruption may have
happened much earlier in the file).

  --Andrew Church
    achurch at achurch.org
    http://achurch.org/