[IRCServices Coding] Services 5.0a21: Odd log message

Andrew Church achurch at achurch.org
Tue Feb 26 16:42:26 PST 2002

>I have included the previous entry in case it is relevant, but it is more
>entry 2 that I wanted to mention since I assume it is indicative of a
>problem:
>
>[Feb 19 23:02:06 2002] channel: MODE #vodatones -o for user tharok not on
>channel
>[Feb 19 23:03:24 2002] user: BUG (?) no channel record for tharok on
>#vodatones (part)
>
>No more information I am afraid since I do not know where to look. If
>nothing else, maybe some information on what the BUG "status" indicates
>could help me try and get a reproducible case.

     "BUG" indicates a situation that should never occur if the program is
correctly coded; for example, something like the following:

	if (i < 0 || i > 3)
	    return -1;
	switch (i) {
	    case 0: /* ... */ break;
	    case 1: /* ... */ break;
	    case 2: /* ... */ break;
	    default: log("BUG: impossible value for i (%d)", i); return -1;
	}

In this case, it indicates that a PART message was received for a user who
was not recorded as being on the channel they were supposedly parting,
which means there's a bug in either Services or the ircds.  (Most probably
this is a Services bug, but since it could potentially be caused by bad
messages from the uplink server this probably shouldn't be marked "BUG" as
the other BUG cases are.)

  --Andrew Church
    achurch at achurch.org
    http://achurch.org/