[IRCServices Coding] Feature Request

Sean Kelly smkelly at zombie.org
Mon Apr 22 19:43:17 PDT 2002

On Sun, Apr 21, 2002 at 09:38:41PM -0700, Tom Moyer wrote:
> > >5. I know you will shoot me for this one. Since we have an admin section
> in
> > >the HTML. MAybe make a User section where they can register nicks
> Retreive
> > >Memos. and posibly have it act as a java client for the users....
>
> What is so bad about this?

Well, I can't speak for anybody else here but I'll give you my opinion.
See, Services are more of a program to serve on IRC.  When you start
tacking on crap like a java client, you are extending them beyond their
designed purpose.  for one, to have a useful java client you'd most likely
want to get it signed.  So now you're talking about having Services serve
signed java out via a web server, which I presume you want to also be built
into services?  It is a waste.  Go buy jIRC, javirc, or use eirc.  That is
their designed purpose.

As for registering nicknames via a web interface, this will be possible
if/when Services have MySQL support in them.  My network, SlashNET, has
already built a rather comprehensive website based on live IRC data and
Services database data (http://www.slashnet.org/).  It isn't really hard to
do it *outside of services* if you know what you are doing and have the
time to do it.

--
Sean Kelly         | PGP KeyID: 77042C7B
smkelly at zombie.org | http://www.zombie.org