[IRCServices Coding] Strange Errors in 5.0

Mark Hetherington mark at ctcp.net
Tue May 28 10:54:34 PDT 2002

> >[May 27 15:22:03 2002] unknown message from server
> >(:glacier-irc.ice-inferno.com SMO o :(^Blink^B) Link
> >glacier-irc.ice-inferno.com ->
> >services.irc.ice-inferno.com[@194.72.61.8.59322] established)
>
>      This indicates an unrecognized message from the server.  What IRC
> server are you using?

This is an Unreal message that happens during the server link phase.
Services has never recognised this message for any version of Unreal. I
mentioned it ages ago with some other unsupported ones but this link
process remained "unknown". I think it was considered too low priority to
fix.

A quick look at the protocol code shows that the SMO message is listed in
the table but it doesn't recognise up the link notifications.

An example when "leaf" connects to "hub" follows:

unknown message from server (:hub SMO o :(sync) Link leaf -> hub is now
synced [secs: 0 recv: 0.698 sent: 3.225])
unknown message from server (:leaf SMO o :(sync) Link hub -> leaf is now
synced [secs: 0 recv: 3.285 sent: 0.698])

Sometimes there will be an additional:

unknown message from server (:hub SMO o :(sync) Possible negative TS
split at link leaf (1022499961 - 1022499962 = -1))

While on the subject of Unreal messages, aniother unsupported one is the
SILENCE command:

unknown message from server (:nick SILENCE Nick :*!*user at host)

--
Mark.