[IRCServices Coding] (no subject)

Russell Garrett rg at tcslon.com
Wed Jun 5 04:05:00 PDT 2002

> Something's pretty wrong here :-\

I'm guessing you probably have an ircd on the same server, or another
server with about 1000 connections to it, or Apache with many virtual
hosts and an AccessLog and ErrorLog directive for each virtual host.

Linux by default will only allow 1024 open file descriptors, and if
you hit that limit Strange Things will Happen. You're stuck with a
few options here, you can either reduce the number of open FDs, by
reducing the incoming connections or whatever (the easiest option),
you can increase __FD_SETSIZE in the kernel and recompile (I daresay
you'll also have to screw with rlimits, and I think theres an entry
in /proc/sys which controls that too), or you can switch to an OS
which doesn't have such limitations (FreeBSD is the best OS for an
irc server - any BSD will do ;)).

Russ Garrett
russ at garrett.co.uk
www.faereal.net