[IRCServices Coding] mysql support

Aragon Gouveia aragon at phat.za.net
Wed Jul 3 14:33:58 PDT 2002

| By Craig McLure <frostycoolslug at hotmail.com>
|                                          [ 2002-07-03 18:59 +0200 ]
> I heard it wasnt done cause of the way the Databases were structured..
> *ShRuGs* i'll get 1 of my Tech Admins to look at it :)

It shouldn't be too difficult to structure the sql tables for services. I
think the biggest difficulty is constructing all the queries to take care of
things like linked nicks, access lists, levels, etc. From my limited
understanding of how services works currently, it reads the entire db files
into memory and works with the data from there, dumping memory to the hard
drive every so often. You could probably employ the same technique with sql,
but that would mean *only* services would be able to perform changes safely.
Which kinda defeats the purpose of using sql :/

I wrote a script a while ago that reads in ircservices's nick.db and dumps
it into some sql tables so I can integrate some services features into our web
page. It works quite nicely. Users can login using their nickserv passwords,
check memos, edit their web info, etc. But, unfortunately its read only.
Hopefully I'll have time to convert chan.db sometime too.

Regards,
Aragon