[IRCServices Coding] Compiler issues

VisionOfHell at aol.com VisionOfHell at aol.com
Sat Sep 14 06:18:47 PDT 2002

This is what I get when I try and compile Opre12:

Searching for a suitable compiler...

*** WHOA THERE! ***

Your system seems to have gcc 2.96 installed.
This is an unofficial release of the GCC compiler which
contains serious bugs and cannot compile Services correctly.
Please upgrade GCC to a newer version, or downgrade to
version 2.95.3, before compiling Services.

This is what my ISP says:

I've had a good poke around on the redhat updates site and there is a newer
version of gcc, build 112, but it still version 2.96.

However, there is a whole section on the RedHat web site that explains what
the "issues" with this version of the compiler are and it makes quite
interesting reading. You might want to have a read yourself as I feel their
thinking makes complete sense to me and is the route we want to follow.

<A HREF="http://www.redhat.com/advice/speaks_gcc.html">http://www.redhat.com/advice/speaks_gcc.html</A>

I guess until gcc 2.97 or the new version of services becomes more compliant
with the standards of the language it's supposedly written there is little
that can be done to resolve this :o( Sadly I'm not able to downgrade the
compiler to an earlier version.

Can someone please try and explain to me where this leaves me?