[IRCServices Coding] Coding Modules HOWTO:

Olly olly at avansys.co.uk
Sat Nov 23 17:26:48 PST 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: ircservices-coding-admin at ircservices.za.net
[mailto:ircservices-coding-admin at ircservices.za.net]On Behalf Of Craig
Edwards
Sent: 24 November 2002 00:29
To: ircservices-coding at ircservices.za.net
Subject: Re: [IRCServices Coding] Coding Modules HOWTO:

We wrote a few modules, one of which is "LoveServ". All it does is send
"mirc popup" style messages between users, love notes, coloured text etc on
command... pretty simple stuff. If you want it come and bug us on
irc.chatspike.net #chatspike :) We based it on the HelpServ module (that and
DevNull are the nearest thing to dummy/skeleton modules there are that ive
found) , then we modified the makefile so that it would compile a .so of our
module at the same time as the rest of the services tree. However you could
just mkdir a directory and make your own make file, so long as the paths to
the services include files is correct :)

Good Luck,
Craig Edwards

> Hi.
>
>I'm the admin for a tiny RolePlayGaming network and we're currently looking
>into making addon modules for a series of Services Bots that will share the
>load for a Roleplay Service on IRC.
>
>The problem is that none of us are really coders, and we need a lot of help
>getting started. With enormous respect for Andy and his great works on
>producing his wonderful services, his documentation re: modules creation
>leaves much to be desired, and seems to concentrate more on where and how
we
>should indent, then on how to compile a new module, and integrate it into
>services.
>
>Simple questions to which we should be able find answers baffle us I'm
>afraid, one such is: Do we add tokens for new commands to the exsiting
token
>list in init.c, or is there a way to introduce them within the modules
>without editing existing code?
>
>How do we include a module to the list of modules to be compiled, ie: is
>there a command line for compilation of extra modules like with Apache, or
>do we just drop them into the modules directory and recompile from scratch
>as with UnrealIRCD?
>
>Has anyone written a skeleton module with compilation instructions that we
>could use as a starter?
>Is there a list of APIs that we could call on or must we read the code
(Very
>headbreaking for us low IQ, cut & paste coders).
>
>Please don't tell me anything useless like: "If you don't understand the
>code you shouldn't be doing this!" Unless you intend to do the coding for
>us, for free, because suitable, or not; We're all we've got!.
>
>Olly admin at rpglairs.com

Any chance you could let me have them to learn from?
I would not use them unmodified unless you gave me permission, in which case
I would, of course. respect any copyright notices etc.

Olly

---