[IRCServices Coding] contributing to ircservices : legal and coding standards problems

Lucas Nussbaum lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net
Sun Dec 15 23:00:57 PST 2002

On Sat, Dec 14, 2002 at 08:55:17AM +0900, Andrew Church <achurch at achurch.org> wrote:
> >I still have to think about this, but would you agree to release a
> >special version of ircservices-5 under "GPL version 2 or later" instead
> >of "GPL version 2" ? This way I could fork this version instead of the
> >restricted one.
>
>      No, I won't do that; however, I would be willing to let you distribute
> your own version under a "version 2 or later" license.

OK, I'll think about it then.
I won't be near a computer during the christmas hollidays, so this will
be postponed to after the hollidays I think.

> >Furthermore, I think the Affero GPL would be more appropriate for
> >an irc services package. (see http://www.affero.org/oagpl.html for the
> >licence itself, and
> >http://webservices.devchannel.org/webservices/02/05/21/2245226.shtml?tid=1
> >for an article explaining the changes).
>
>      Thanks for the link--I'll look into it.  (But not today--I'm going
> out of town shortly for the next few days.)

Please do. I'm not sure yet whether I would like this project to be
released under "GPL v.2 or later", or Affero GPL. Maybe ("Affero GPL" OR
"GPL > v.2") might be a better choice, because I really like this 2.d
section. But this would require some documentation to explain this
choice :)
--
Lucas Nussbaum
IRC to MySQL gateway : http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/thales/