[IRCServices Coding] SET RESTRICTED, and possibly AKICK flaw

Bergee lordbergee at comcast.net
Sun Mar 19 05:49:57 PST 2006

	Indeed, I recall the channel that this happened on having no bans at
all.  Or well, the IRC server didn't think there were any...
	I'd also like to throw a note that it would be highly annoying to have
Services up and remove all extended bans that user's place.  I think
it's something that can pretty much be accepted that if one installs a
module that adds an extended ban -- it simply won't work with Services.
 I'd rather see support for the built in extended bans and simply ignore
other extended bans.  Or perhaps only do that when a configuration
option is set to ignore them so that an administrator must understand
the ramifications of doing so.  And if that isn't set, remove unknown
extended bans.  I don't feel like this is a "good solution" but I feel
like outright removing support for extended bans is a far worse one.

Bergee

DeadNotBuried wrote:
> fyi : the only time i have seen this happen there were no normal or
> extended bans at all placed on the channel at the time.
>
> DNB
>
> Andrew Church wrote:
>>      The most likely possibility (on Services' side) is that the channel
>> in question has an extended exception that doesn't include a usermask,
>> such as c: or r:.  To be honest, I'm at a loss at what to do about these,
>> especially since Unreal allows modules to add further types; for 5.1 I'm
>> half-inclined to just forbid extended bans/exceptions entirely (by
>> clearing anything that users try to set), but I'd be interested in hearing
>> other ideas.
>>
>>   --Andrew Church
>>     achurch at achurch.org
>>     http://achurch.org/
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've seen this happen once or twice, but was never able to reproduce it
>>> - last night it got a little major, so I thought I'd better send it on
>>> to the list.
>>>
>>> It appears sometimes on a violation of AKICK or SET RESTRICTED, ChanServ
>>> doesn't add a +b to the channel, leading to fun endless JOIN/KICK
>>> floods. Sometimes, ChanServ wakes up after a while - yesterday this
>>> wasn't the case...
>>>
>>> [04:32:59] * You were kicked from #helpers by ChanServ (You are not
>>> permitted to be on this channel.)
>>> [04:33:01] * You were kicked from #helpers by ChanServ (You are not
>>> permitted to be on this channel.)
>>> [04:33:04] * You were kicked from #helpers by ChanServ (You are not
>>> permitted to be on this channel.)

>>> [05:09:41] * You were kicked from #helpers by ChanServ (You are not
>>> permitted to be on this channel.)
>>> [05:09:43] * You were kicked from #helpers by ChanServ (You are not
>>> permitted to be on this channel.)
>>> [05:09:45] * You were kicked from #helpers by ChanServ (You are not
>>> permitted to be on this channel.)
>>> [05:09:46] #helpers unable to join channel (address is banned)
>>>

>>> That ban being a +b Guest*!*@* set by someone else on the channel.
>>>
>>> IRCd is Unreal (3.2.2b, for the terminally curious) - services are at
>>> 5.0.55, with some modules, but no core tweaks.
>>>
>>> If anyone else has ideas, because this one has me a little stumped...
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> w00t.